SPLENDARO

meander, keep moving, that's what it's all about isn't it?! not the hokey pokey, that just CAN'T be what it's all about...

Saturday, January 31, 2004

how to go to the Big Day Out for less than 90cents...

keep an open mind people....

so, find out what volunteer positions are available for these kinds of events! If you haven't volunteered for a music festival before, think twice before throwing yourself in the deep end.

Considering I've run my own mini festivals in the past ("Reverberation" at Inzone a few years back over Australia Day, as well as three d's 21st birthday) and been a part of MBA/Fuse the last two years... I know that it's not easy work. If you think you're going to not be tired and will have the ability to function the following day... think again!

My good friend Michelle had the opportunity to do a bit of paid work co-ordinating volunteers and the 'crowd care' area of the big day out... so she threw some information my way. I managed to get a morning shift so could enjoy some of the bands from about 5pm. I arrived at 9:20am, lined up to get my workers pass for nearly an hour, started crowd care when the gates opened about 10:30am. Our jobs basically to be the eyes and ears on the ground, give information, report any wierd stuff/dangers etc.

We were provided with lunch, and water and softdrinks when we needed them throughout the day... and were given a BDO t-shirt and CD as thanks, as well as entry to the rest of the event.

Yeh, so I walked around for about 4 1/2 hours I guess, spending two hours in the middle at the Crowd Care tent providing stuff like ear plugs, water and chupa chups.

I spent 90 cents on a hot cinnamon donut...!!

I saw Peaches, Aphex Twin/Luke Vibert (disappointing), Flaming Lips (fun and balloon filled), Basement Jaxx (loud and full of people), and of course some of Metallica, some of the Strokes... some of the Dandy Warhols, some of Muse, The Darkness (good) and some of most things really.

There was not too much trouble that I saw...

What kind of shits me though is how messy the place gets so quickly... I mean you think about during an event such as the Royal Show where there are large volumes of people at the showgrounds... probably about half the amount of a Big Day Out on a daily basis I guess throughout the Royal Show... but why the *FuCK* do people think it's okay to throw their drink containers, iceblock wrappers, and BDO paraphanalia everywhere? It kind of discusted me (and it did at the Falls as well) that people couldn't walk 5 steps and put something in the bin. There is nothing more fowl than trying to find a place to sit on some grass, and having to move food wrappers or empty cans or whatever to sit there, and then wondering if there is still some of the food and/or drink where you are about to sit anyway...

FridayFive.Org
You have just won one million dollars:
1. Who do you call first?

Nic! "so about that trip to amsterdam...??"

2. What is the first thing you buy for yourself?
a bottle of white sambuca...

3. What is the first thing you buy for someone else?
tickets to europe for my closest 15-20 mates...

4. Do you give any away? If yes, to whom?
The Otherway Centre where my friend Terri works...

5. Do you invest any? If so, how?
more than likely in rental properties...


REWIND...
Thursday I picked up the kids from Team Plastique from the airport, they were supporting Peaches that night... I showed them the Central Markets where we bought a shite-load of tea from the TBar.

Then we trouped into three d for their interview on Eco Noise, and back to Benjamin's. I left them to their devices whilst going to do paperwork and such for my temp jobs, and went to the BDO meeting as well.

When I returned to the city at 9pm to Enigma... I only managed to catch the last 3 songs of the TP set... which I was very angry about, but I really enjoyed it. They did strange things with fake money and hundreds and thousands... if they are in your city, costume it up and get on down and have a rawkus time!!

Bit by Bats were good as always... Benjamin called them the Adelaide Chapter of the Strokes... whilst I agree and disagree... I still think they're good. But I think the Strokes are average now that their most recent album sounds pretty much like the last one... I can't believe Buck65 (go back through his Love Letters section on the site) put it on his top 10 albums of last year... but yeh, that's opinion, so who am I to judge such a handsome man?

Peaches was INCREDIBLE! If you didn't see her, you missed out on...

{to be continued}

No comments: