SPLENDARO

meander, keep moving, that's what it's all about isn't it?! not the hokey pokey, that just CAN'T be what it's all about...

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sicko...

So.... last night after being at Claire's for a little girly afternoon, I hired some DVD's including Sicko which I've been wanting to watch for a while.

Jeez, all I can say is that I am so glad I don't live in the US. No offence to any of you, I love visiting america, but to be bankrupt just because you get sick is completely ridiculous.

Obviously our health system also has flaws. I cannot speak for those who have needed to be hospitalised but I have had LOTS of testing and appointments in the last few years. Medicare pays a reasonable amount I believe... i have been for one lot of x-rays on my neck, one lot of my knee, an ultrasound on my knee and a CT scan on my spine, all of which were just billed straight to medicare and I didn't pay a cent.
if i go to the doctors i have to pay upfront about $50 but then i just walk into any medicare office and end up actually paying about $15 to see my doctor. it might take me 20 mins to wait to get a cash refund over the counter.
the only medication i'm prescribed permanently costs me about $20 for a 4 month supply because i assume its on the PBS list.
when i see an alternate therapist (eg. i see an osteo at least once a month) - this is covered by my private health provider and instead of costing me $65 per visit it costs me $27.'
my private extras cover with the health fund (covers extra things like basic dental treaments and alternative therapies, even money for your gym if you want... blah blah) costs me $31 a month.
obviously its not a perfect system what we have but we all pay a medicare levy with our taxes, and i feel that a lot of preventative care is covered as well. which is nice.
well certainly a lot better than the US system.

i expect a mass exodus from the US to france!!

well done michael, again, for a fine doco.

'What can I do?' - SiCKO

xJ

No comments: